It has been 8 days since Aaron had his surgery. He is doing great! The tumor was bigger then the doctor thought and it was a source of pain that he was having. So now that it is removed Aaron is feeling much better and he is able to move his arm around more. We have had a good past week being able to spend more time together. Actually, I am getting spoiled having him around so much. We cook together, watch movies, talk, he is able to do small home improvement projects. His countenence altogether is more cheerful. We are so thankful and blessed by Our Lord through this whole experience and we are ready to move forward.
— — —
And now for something completly different…
- Pole beans
- Kidney Beans
- Lima Beans
- Wax Beans
- Cucumbers- Slicing and pickling
- Peas – Snow and Shell
- Peppers – Three different types- Colored Bells, Cheyenne and Banana
- Sweet Dumpling Squash – Will be grown at the farm
- Yellow onions
- Garlic, that is already in the ground
Green House or Porch
- Mesclun Mix
- Green Salad Bowl
- Summer Savory
- Cinnamon Basil
- Genovese Basil
- Sweet Basil
Herb Garden Additions
- Calendula – I am going to harvest the flowers and dry them and eventually make a hand cream
- Kong Sunflowers
- Marigold – These are going underneath the Pole Beans
- Nasturtium – These are going underneath the cucumbers
Plants that will have their own areas
- Asparagus – I don’t know if we will get to these this year
- Elderberry bush
- Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes will be grown in tires or containers
When I showed my list to Aaron he told me that I had to compete with his dad’s garden size. But when he found out a good chunk of them were salads he told me that a lot of it would fit in our garden, except my squash.
The annual herbs and flowers will be put into pots or baskets, some might be put throught the garden to attract bees and butterflies. The perennial herbs will go in the ground. The perennial flowers will be in the flower beds around the house. And if I have excess I might give away a few healthy plants, but we will see.
Seeds I already have
- Lima Beans, heirloom
- Wax beans, heirloom
- Brandywine Tomatoes
- Two types of carrots
- Two types of bush beans
- A few varieties of lettuce
- A packet of different Summer squash, this one was given to me. I think it is kind of silly to have just a combination of seeds together.
The lima and wax beans, lettuce and carrots will defiantly be planted. As for the others I might give a few away. The seeds are old and the seeds from the catalog are better than the store bought kind.
This year I am going to keep better track of planting times, when certain crops will need to be thinned, etc. I also made a list of items that I need. I have a few trellises to make, potting soil, shelves for the greenhouse. etc. I need at least 96 feet worth or trellises and supports for my climbing plants, Cement tubes to have the celery grow in, tires or containers for potatoes and sweet potatoes.
Another thing I want to do in the summer is sell more things at market and at roadside. So I need to write up stuff and prepare for that. Boy, am I going to be busy. I probably don’t know how busy.
What a heavy work load I have ahead. Gardening, blueberries, trimming apple trees, market, housework. Whew. I’m excited about it though. And maybe I’ll be so busy I won’t be as down in the mouth as I was last summer!